Friday, February 16, 2024

Improving Elementary School Math Scores

Typically Catholic school students outperform the national averages on normed testing, but our math scores usually lag behind our reading scores.

My theory on that is most of our elementary teachers have more aptitude and interest in ELA than Math. They do their due diligence teaching Math, but their passion and creativity are poured into what they are best at. When was the last time you saw a math problem or project hanging in our hallways?

So as the new head of Pope John Paul II in Nashville in 2008, when I reviewed incoming placement test scores from tiny Sumner Academy in Gallatin, TN and saw their extraordinary math scores, I originally figured it was a statistical quirk. But when they scored just as high the next year, I was really curious, and asked Dr. Bill Hovenden, its head of school, if I could visit.

He was gracious and welcomed me. This is my memory of our conversation:

“What are you doing here in Math?” I asked. “Your scores are incredible.”

He was pleased I noticed. “Well, I’ve done something here for 20 years most of my colleagues consider heresy. I departmentalize teachers, all the way down to kindergarten. I group our school into three units: K-2, 3-5 and 6-8. For each group I hire three teachers: a math/science teacher, an ELA teacher and a third teacher for everything else, depending on the age. Each teacher works with our kids for three years.”

“You mean you ring a bell and have kids change classes, like we do in high school? I asked.

“Not quite,” he said. “Teachers change classrooms. Kids stay put in K-5. They change rooms in 6-8.”

“Why does it work?”

“Because most people with good minds in math are terrified to teach English and vice-versa. If I offer teacher candidates the chance to teach only math and science, they jump at the chance! So in my school, I have three really bright math and science people who bring a lot of energy and knowledge to those classes. What you see as they enter your high school is the 9-year impact of that.”

“Four other good things about the model,” he wanted me to know.

“Because a teacher is with the same students for three years, he or she really knows their academic strengths and weaknesses to begin the year. That saves a lot of time.”

“Second, the bonds here become very strong, between teachers and students, and between teachers and parents, most of the time.”

“Third, vertical integration of the curriculum is better. We only have to coordinate 3 people for each discipline.”

“Finally, there is good collaboration among the teachers in each unit. I make sure they have the same free period. They teach the same kids, after all, so they can talk about what works for each one. And when one teacher gets sick or goes on maternity leave, it’s much easier to induct the substitute into the school. I ask the other two teachers to look after him or her.”

It works. Sumner Academy does good work with its kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment