Sunday, March 18, 2018

Closing the Deal with Catholic Teacher Candidates


So you’ve now vetted the resumes, met and interviewed the candidate, perhaps invited that candidate back for a second interview,  watched him or her teach a class, and  now you’ve decided to make an offer. This is a crucial step in the process! For one, we have the person we want!  But also, we’ve invested a huge amount of time in this candidate, and it would be devastating to start over! 

So I believe—because I was this principal for years myself—that we don’t realize the flexibility and authority we have at this step in the equation. What I used to do was simply consult the salary chart, factor in years of experience and the degree, find the number, offer it, and then HOPE and PRAY.  

Hoping and praying is good, but we can do a lot more than that. Here are my suggestions:

First, wait for the paperwork to clear. Our archdiocese does background checks for any criminal history, and it takes 3-5 days once the forms are sent to process. 

Before you make an offer, ask the candidate directly: “If we are going to make you an offer, it would have to be something that makes sense for you to consider it.  Could you please tell me confidentially what you are making at your job right now?”  I have never met a candidate who didn’t appreciate that question, as it will only benefit him or her to be candid. 

Notice, I didn’t say, “What are your salary expectations?” We ask that question frequently, but I believe it’s the wrong question. Such a question introduces a subjective element to the equation, based (often) on what the candidate perceives him or her to be worth.  But chances are, ALL of us are working at the school for less than our “worth”—Catholic schools can’t pay people on that standard. (In fact, I will never entertain a current employee’s request for a raise on the basis of “worth,” but will be as generous as I can for a strong employee who has an additional “need.”)

Once I know the candidate is making X amount at their current job, I would like, if possible, to offer at least as much as he or she is making now, if not a few thousand dollars more. In some rare cases, often if they've taught in other schools, I can offer even more than that.  

But what if my “salary scale” cannot meet that amount? 

First, as I have argued here, I would not operate off a hard and fast salary scale unless compelled to do so. Pay scales are not market sensitive. They don’t account for the fact that some positions are harder to find than others. Further, they virtually guarantee that I will overpay employees and underpay others, at least as compared to their work ethic and value to the school. And they don’t give me the flexibility I need to land a particularly strong candidate. So for this reason, I recommend either no salary scales at all, or  "flex scales," which specify a certain number based on years of experience and degree, but then allows you to offer +/- up to $3,000 from that number to make an offer. 

But whether you have a hard and fast salary scale or a "flex" scale, you may not have the ability to match or exceed the candidate's current salary. Even so, there are options at your disposal. First, most of the schools I know which have salary scales don’t have externally fixed stipend rates. As principal, you can decide to stipend a person for various extra-curricular duties, scaffolding his or salary to a level that approximates your target goal. Second, if the candidate is from out of town, you offer to help assist with moving expenses. Or you could simply offer a signing bonus. The advantage of a moving stipend or a signing bonus is they are one time payments, and don’t obligate the school in the future.  And I’ve found a couple of thousand dollar signing bonus, payable after the contract is signed, is a particularly powerful way of landing promising young teachers, just graduating from college. They don’t have any income to make it to the first pay check in August, and the bonus helps get them through.  

Once you’ve crafted a number you’re able to give, always make the offer in writing. I send it through email. It gives you a chance to put your thoughts together—never get into a verbal negotiation and make an instant decision about salaries, as you really want time to consider all the implications, such as what you’re paying comparable teachers on your staff. Also, writing it down prevents both of you from remembering differently. I’ve had to eat crow before, accidentally creating a contract that was less than I had offered, and although I corrected it, I didn’t make a good first impression. 

I also use this written offer as a last chance to “sell” the candidate on the school. Why will they enjoy teaching here? How will they advance the mission of the school? What kind of activities might they get involved in? How do you see them as a colleague on the faculty? These are things that worry new or transferring teachers, and I think assuring them they have a lot to offer and that they’ll fit right in is helpful. 

I also include a copy of all the benefits they’ll receive in this same written offer. I’ve found it helpful to create a one page benefit overview sheet, which I update each year. It includes the benefits available, the premium costs for health care, etc. We need to recognize these are practical concerns of prudent candidates, and the more transparent we can be on the front end, the better they will feel about their choice. 

And after I do all that, yes, I hope and pray! God’s blessings in your searches! 



No comments:

Post a Comment